Sunday, August 5, 2018

Free Girl Scout Leader Start Up Guides from GSUSA and Other Resources for New Leaders

Updated August 2019

CONGRATULATIONS! You just signed up to become a Girl Scout Daisy leader! 

You are probably a bit nervous and wondering what to do next. You may even get the jitters before the first meeting and wonder why in the world you are doing this to yourself (you know why...it is for your daughter. That is how almost all leaders sign up).


Where does a leader start to learn how to lead? What does she have to do in order to start having meetings?


Every Council has their own website, and if you look at yours, you should find a new leader guide like the following that I found on other Council websites. The following are pretty much the same thing, just formatted a bit differently. 


Girl Scouts of West Central Florida Start Up Guide


Girl Scouts of Connecticut Orientation Troop Start Up Guide




Free Girl Scout Leader Start Up Guides for New Leaders

Image from Ivorymix and used on Canva



Other Resources for Girl Scout Daisy Leaders

Of course, this blog is a terrific resource for leaders! It is based on my years of experience leading a troop (I am entering year 11 as I write this) and my three plus decades as a teacher. 

This blog post, The Most Asked Questions from New Leaders (Answers Provided), will be of some assistance. There is a list of resources at the end of the post to help you along further.

My blog post on my other Girl Scout blog, Top 3 Tips for Maintaining Your Sanity as a Girl Scout Leader, offers suggestions for you to keep yourself happy while leading.

Advice to Girl Scout Leaders Both Veteran and New is an article I wrote after leading my troop for six years and being totally burnt out. I stepped down as head leader and became the co-leader I always wanted (and needed) to have. Presently, I am not a leader in name, but I am the one who runs all the meetings for my troop since the head leader is too busy as she now owns her own business. With only three girls in my troop, it is not hard for me to run meetings and it is fun, not stressful. The other two moms are super supportive and help whenever it is needed. This is how scouting is meant to be.

5 Ways You Are Making Your Life as a Girl Scout Leader More Difficult Than it Needs to Be was written because of what I have read in the Girl Scout Facebook groups that I belong to. Leaders stress over the same things no matter where they live. I shared my thoughts on how to make leading less stressful.

I also have a list of 14 Facebook Groups Girl Scout Leaders Should Join. I strongly suggest that you DO NOT join all 14! Start with the Girl Scout Daisy page and Girl Scout Gab. One is focused on where you are and one is great for general questions. Both have files that you can use for your troop.

Do you have any other resources to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment