Friday, April 4, 2014

How Often Do You Meet?

A question many new leaders wonder is how often to meet.  I know some leaders who met every week right off the bat, and I know others who meet once a month.

What works best?


There is no right or wrong answer, as each leader knows what she can handle. For me, meeting every week would be impossible.  Even though I know my girls could meet, I just have too many other things going on to worry about a weekly meeting.  On the occasion when there is only one scheduled meeting due to the school calendar, I am, honestly, more relaxed.  Since all planning falls on my shoulders, having an extra day "off" gives me time to get refreshed for the next meeting.


But when we meet again, I truly have missed it.  Once a month is not enough for me, and I am ready to work on the next service project or patch.



Daisy Girl Scout meeting schedule
Photo from morguefile.com

For young girls like Daisy Scouts, I think that every other week is the perfect meeting schedule.  Leaders get time to unwind and prepare between meetings, and the girls remember what they did during their previous time together. Children thrive on continuity, and every other week is consistent enough without being overwhelming.

Meetings should last about an hour to an hour-and-a-half, depending on what time you meet.  After school meetings can be a bit longer, but evening meetings need to be an hour or else it can interfere with bedtime routines.


How long do you meet and what time do you meet?  What has worked for you?



No comments:

Post a Comment